LOTTERY games have been played for decades, so much that most people, unfortunately, rely on it and still are hopeful despite having played lottery years and years without any substantial win. In South Africa, as with the entire world, there are ways to play LOTTO games which includes playing manually and online. The online platforms are so broad that they include many authorized third parties to conveniently play the game in the comfort of your home.
iBusiness will be explaining how to Play LOTTO games on these platforms without any fear of fraud, as there could be other illicit websites pretending to be legitimate.
LOTTO was the first in South Africa for a number of years before the introduction of Powerball and other games. The National Lottery is currently operated by Ithuba which was granted a license in 2015 – and still regulated by the National Lottery Commission since 2000.
The odds of winning the lottery in South Africa are 20,358,520 to 1 each for LOTTO, LOTTO PLUS 1, and LOTTO PLUS 2.
The odds of winning Powerball in South Africa are 42,375,200 to 1 each for Powerball and Powerball Plus (when choosing 5 out of 50 numbers and 1 out of 20 numbers)
Here are the 5 ways on how to play the lottery
Every now and then there will be new implementations to play the lottery games in South Africa. However, we have come with the 5 best ways to successfully play LOTTO and the list will continually be reviewed for any changes.
1. Playing Manual
You have a choice to play the LOTTO games manually, and the easiest way is a manual quick pick, where you the system will automatically allocate lucky numbers on your behalf. You can simply tell the cashier that you want a quick pick for the LOTTO draw, and let them know if they should include LOTTO PLUS 1 and/or LOTTO PLUS 2.
To successfully play lottery games manually please do the following:
- Find a valid LOTTO Betslip from an authorized Lottery retailer
- Select 6 numbers between 1 and 52 marking your choice of numbers using a pen or a pencil
- Give your ticket with your chosen numbers to an approved Lottery retailer and make payments
- You will receive the receipt from the teller with your chosen numbers, and please ensure you write your name at the back of the receipt.
- The draws will be aired on SABC 2 every Wednesday and Sat at 20h57
The same is done in regard to the Powerball Draws; you will be required to do the following
- Choose numbers between 1 to 50,
- Choose the Powerball Number between 1 and 20.
- The teller of the authorized lottery retailer will process your ticket and ensure to keep the received recipe of your chosen numbers.
- Write your name at the back of the receipt
- Watch the Powerball Draw on Mzansi Magic and NewzRoom Afrika every Tuesday and Friday at 20h58.
In regard to DAILY LOTTO:
- Make use of a Daily Lotto Betslip, ensure you use a pen/pencil, and choose 5 numbers between 1 and 36.
- Give the Betslip to a teller and let the approved lottery retailer process your bet slip and receive a receipt with your chosen numbers.
- Write your name at the back of the receipt and you can play as many boards as you want.
- A single Daily Lotto bet cost R3.00 VAT incl.
2. Playing using the National Lottery Website
You will be required to login to your National Lottery account, if you do not have an account; you have to register for one on the Official National Lottery Website.
Once you are registered, login and add funds to your wallet to play lottery games, to do so click on MY WALLET, and top up using DIRECT TOP UP, via BANK CARD or INSTANT EFT, or you can use the banking details provided by Ithuba and you are required to use your cell phone number as a reference when depositing funds.
- When you have successfully credited your again, click on PLAY NOW
- Choose six numbers between 1 and 52, or you can select the ‘Quick Pick’ and click on select
- Lottery important notice: * LOTTO PLUS 1 and LOTTO PLUS 2, gives you three chances to win with the same Numbers.
- You can select to play lotto plus 1 and plus 2 to be added to your card
- When you have successfully added ticket to your cart, GO TO YOUR CART TO CHECK OUT.
3. Playing using FNB
FNB gives you more than one way to play the lottery game, you can choose to play using the USSD method
- FNB customers can dial *120*321#
- And SELECT option 3 which is ‘LOTTO and more’
- This option will prompt you to select LOTTO, POWERBALL or Soccer6
- You will be prompted to ‘Buy Quickpick’, ‘Choose numbers’, ‘Play Past tickets’, or ‘Review Winning Numbers’
- Please note that you cannot cancel confirmed LOTTO tickets
- You will then be prompted to select the account to pay from (If you have multiple FNB accounts)
- You will then be prompted to select the number of boards to play when you choose your lucky numbers; the USSD shows the maximum of three boards.
- You will then be asked if you’d like to play LOTTO Plus, where you may select ‘YES’, ‘NO’ or cancel
- Continuing will prompt you to select multiple draws, where you can select ‘YES’, ‘NO’ or cancel
- If you select YES, the FNB USSD will prompt you to select the number of draws that you’d like yo be entered into
- Then you can select your numbers, continue through, and confirm your ticket. You can then request an SMS confirmation after a successful transaction
TO PLAY ONLINE YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DO THE FOLLOWING
- Log in to your FNB Online Banking,
- Select ‘BUY’ on the FNB homepage of your screen
- Select LOTTO
- Select PLAY NOW
- Choose numbers
- Select ‘Buy Ticket with’,
- Select a Board to pick numbers
- Choose your numbers and select DONE
- Select BUY
- Review your ticket, and Edit or Confirm
- Select FINISH and you are done
4. Playing using Nedbank
If you would like to purchase the Lotto tickets using Nedbank Internet Banking, you can Click on the LOTTO menu when you have successfully logged into your Nedbank Internet Banking,
- Select ‘Purchase LOTTO’
- You will then be required to choose the LOTTO or the Powerball Game
- You may choose QuickPick or select numbers manually, and then click on ‘make purchase’
- Then you will be required to ‘confirm purchase’
5. Playing using ABSA
You can use the Absa App to play the lottery or use the ABSA USSD (*120*2272).
For the ABSA App
- Download the App, Register or Login to your account
- Select Lotto/Powerball
- Choose the game you want to play, it can be LOTTO or Powerball
- You may select QuickPick – OR Select the numbers, and select the account to pay from and confirm your transaction.
For the ABSA USSD (*120*2272#)
- Dial *120*2272#
- Select ‘8’
- Accept the T&Cs
- Select the game you want to play (LOTTO or Powerball)
- Choose QuickPick or select your numbers and confirm your transaction
Lottery tickets are charged at R5.00 per board VAT incl. and additional PLUS games are charged at R2.50 each VAT incl., DAILY LOTTO costs only R3.00 VAT incl.
South African COVID-19 Information Portal
iBusiness on COVID-19