iBusiness wrote a comprehensive article on how to become a Bolt driver, now we want to look into ways to get into another company that offers vehicles for hire and other services like food delivery, UBER.
Uber, original named ‘Uber Technologies, Inc.‘ is not much different from Bolt, it is an American company that offers vehicles for hire, food delivery (Commonly known as Uber Eats), couriers, package delivery, and so much more including freight transportation. Uber has about 110 million monthly active users a month worldwide. The company is based in San Francisco, California U.S.
The company operates in 69 countries (Including South Africa) and over 900 metropolitan areas.
Driving an Uber in South Africa
You can become your own boss and make money by becoming an Uber Driver in South Africa. With Uber, you don’t even need a car when you are eligible to drive Uber. In order to become an Uber driver, and you are around Johannesburg, Durban, Pretoria, Cape Town, or PE (Port Elizabeth), do the following:
- Sign Up online – You will need an email address and a smartphone, (it’s a simple online process). You will make as much as you want and set your own schedule.
- Upload your documents – Uber will need to see your valid South African Professional Driving Permit (PrDP), Complete a safety screening, pass a driving evaluation, you have to be 21 years or older, and provide a driver profile photo for your Uber account.
To use Uber Driver App in SA, you will be required to upload the following documents:
- SA Professional Driving license
- Proof of identification. You must be at least 21 years old.
- Screening check
- Driving evaluation
- Profile photo
- Operating Card (Double Disk)
- Vehicle certificate of registration
- Vehicle inspection certificate
- Vehicle insurance cover
How to Upload Driver Documents
The video below illustrates how to upload the driver documents using the Uber App.
How to upload vehicle documents
The following video, illustrates how to upload your vehicle documents using the Uber app.
Driver Documents Specifications
SA Professional Driving license
Ensure you upload a clear copy of your PrDP. This can be done by taking a picture of it – or you can upload your temporary PrDP with your normal driving license. To stay on the road, Uber requires your most up to date license and PrDP. The documents can be uploaded on
Ensure you upload a clear copy of your PrDP. This can be done by taking a picture of it – or you can upload your temporary PrDP with your normal driving license. To stay on the road, Uber requires your most up to date licence and PrDP. The documents can be uploaded on
Ensure you upload a clear copy of your PrDP. This can be done by taking a picture of it – or you can upload your temporary PrDP with your normal driving license. To stay on the road, Uber requires your most up to date licence and PrDP. The PrDP documents can be updated on https://partners.uber.com/ or through the App, Uber will send you the notification when it’s about to expire, see the sample below:
To become an Uber driver, there should be a clear screening check document stating that the drier-partners is clear from any criminal record, see sample below:
To become an Uber driver you must also complete an UBER Driving Evaluation. See sample below:
Your Uber account requires a clear and approved profile picture. Your Profile must meet the following:
- No hats or Sunglasses however regular glasses and religious garments are accepted
- You can not use a driver’s license photo
- Full Phase and top of should is a must
- The picture should be clear and not blurry
- There should be good lighting
- There should only be you on the image and
- the face must be centered in the frame,
See Sample below:
Vehicle documents specifications
You will need an Operating Card (Double Disk), to obtain the documents you will have to visit the nearest roadworthy center or DEKRA, You will get a form to submit at the licensing department, and can take up to 3 days to receive.
This is a documents that will indicate that you have a commercial vehicle to transport people around. If you do your roadworthy at DEKRA, they will waive the cost of the inspection
For the Vehicle certificate of registration, you can obtain it where you purchase and register the vehicle in your name. For financed vehicles, you can get a copy at the bank if you don’t have the original copy.
For Vehicle Inspection Certification, you can visit the nearest DEKRA test centre and upload the report within 1 month of completing your inspection. If your car is less than 6 months old, an inspection is not necessary, you can upload your car’s certificate of registration instead.
For Vehicle insurance cover, Ensure that your insurer or the policy thereof states clearly that your car is insured for business/commercial use and the policy number should be clear and readable. The policy should also state the insurance provider name.
For your vehicle to pass all the Uber requirements, your car must be the following
- Model year 2011 or newer
- 5-door hatchback or 4-door sedan or mivan
- ABS, and passenger and driver airbags safety features fitted
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
For a full comprehensive list visit: https://www.uber.com/za/en/drive/requirements/vehicle-requirements/