The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) has successfully started with the first batch of payments for the COVID-19 social Relief of distress (SRD R350 Grant) today (25 August 2021).
The SRD grant is meant to benefit unemployed citizens who were and still are negatively affected by COVID-19 since 2020. 8 931 375 applications were made within 12 days of the opening the application channels.
SASSA confirmed that payments are made directly into approved beneficiary’s bank accounts, mobile money transfer through cell phones and through the South African Post Office. Payments have started today, some approved applicants will receive their funds over the next coming days due to the large scale of transactions that need to be processed. Not everybody should expect to receive money today.
Please take note of the following if you are going to collect your funds from the South African Post Office:
- Every approved applicant must wait for an SMS confirming that the grant is available if they are collecting their funds from the Post office.
- If you have not received an SMS from SASSA notifying you that the grant is available for collection then it means that the grant is not available yet for collection at the Post Office.
- Applicants are advised not to check whether their funds are available by going to the \Post Office to avoid unnecessary crowing.
- The last three digits of approved beneficiaries’ identity number will be used for payment collection on a specific day of the week.
- The South African Post Office (SAPO) will not pay the R350 grant during Pubic Holidays, weekends and when normal monthly social grant payments are made.
- Only visit the Post office to collect your grant if you have received a payment notification SMS.
The function for all applicants to start checking their status on the system will be available later this week. That function has not been available because SASSA has kept the channels open to cope with the high number of applicants being received on a daily bases. SASSA requests all applicants to be patient regarding the process due to the high volume of applications that are received.
More articles related to R350 COVID-19 SRD grants: